Monday, April 7, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude

Ahh. I forgot to update my blog yesterday :)

I know my last post was rather long so I will try no to make this as long. I truly felt inspired to write what I did and I hope it inspired others.

After watching conference yesterday, I felt so much more peace and comfort. There were so many things that stuck out to me during conference, but one talk that stuck out to me in particular was Uchtdorf's talk. It was amazing! For those of you who watched it, I'm sure you felt the same way. He is one of my favorite's. His talks always seem to hit home. He talked about being grateful. He talked about being grateful in all things. Being grateful during trials and tribulations or during happiness and joy. This is something I always try to be. No matter how hard the trial may be, no matter how sick I feel or how upset I can get. I know there is a specific plan for me and each of you. Meaning that trials we have been dealt with in life are for a reason. Like I had mentioned in my last post, our trials here in this life are to purify us for what's in store.

Uchtdorf's talk inspired me to write about being grateful in all things, every day. As much as some of us may struggle, we always have something to be grateful for. And during the times that seem the hardest to be grateful, are the most important times to be grateful. Just like the saying about prayer. At times when it's hardest to kneel, is when we need to kneel the most.

I know there are times when it's hard to be fully grateful when there is so much struggle in life. However, having a bitter attitude and constantly being negative will never make us feel better. So why not do something to uplift us during hard times? I took some notes from conference and wanted to share just a bit from Uchtdorf's talk.

~Something we can do to take away bitterness in our lives. We can be grateful. Those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude will find peace and joy. Expressing gratitude will bring joy and happiness. It is important to frequently count our blessings. The Lord doesn't expect us to be less thankful in times of trial. Attitude of gratitude. It's easy to be grateful for things when life seems to be going our way. Instead of being thankful for things, focus on being thankful in our circumstances whatever they may be. The choice is ours. We can choose to limit our gratitude based on the blessings we feel we lack, or we can choose to be grateful like Nephi, whose grateful attitude never failed.~

These words mean so much to me. I know sometimes I can personally struggle with not always remembering my blessings at my hardest moments when I feel really ill. But I also know that on days where I feel miserable are nothing compared to the days I feel okay. I'm grateful that I can know what happiness is by the trials I've been given in life. How can a person feel true happiness and joy if they've never had to go through the pain, sorrow or sadness? Trials really do make us stronger. And how we handle them makes the world of difference. We may not always know the outcome, but if we have trust and faith in the Lord, count our blessings daily and always be grateful, we don't need to know the outcome. I know that whatever trial may come to our lives, as long as we let Him in, He will lighten our burdens.

Every time I pray, I always express gratitude, even if I feel miserable and feel like I can't take anymore, I still do. Because nothing compares to what the Savior has done for us. He truly knows our pains and our sorrows and we are NEVER alone. After listening to Uchtdorf's talk, I realized how I can be more grateful and that I need to count my blessings every day, no matter the situation. I have so much to be grateful for! I have an AMAZING fiance who is always there for me and who gives me blessings when needed. I have a great family who may not live near me, but are just a phone call away and help me whenever I need. I have many loving family and friends all around me. I couldn't be more grateful for them. I have had many people pray for me and I can feel their prayers. They mean the world to me. I have a nice place to call home. I have all the support in the world. And I have the gospel. All of these things and more make life wonderful. I'm so grateful for everything.

I've decided to make lists each time I'm feeling overwhelmed, down or really sick, of things I'm grateful for. But it probably wouldn't hurt to do it every morning or night either :) I know this can make a huge difference. I challenge everyone to have the "attitude of gratitude" for at least 30 days and see the difference it can bring into your life.

Have a lovely day everyone!!

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment